Friday, September 19, 2014

FAQ's - Answers To Questions About Kokomo.

FAQ's - (OK, some of these questions are not FREQUENTLY asked, but I thought I'd include them all!)

*** First: Here is the complete gear and equipment list!
*** Here is the story of how we purchased the boat (worth reading!)


What is the age of house & start batteries?
Start batteries 4 years, House batteries 3 years​


Engine fuel filtration system and is each engine on it's own supply?

​ - Fuel filtration is separate, but before the filters is one 120g tank. I considered having a separate tank installed in the Lazarette, but have never had a problem​ with the filters.
Center window wiper? and are the wipers on separate switches?
​- No, the boat was not commissioned with a center window wiper, and I think it'd be overkill. The center window opens, and mounting a wiper assembly on that pane would be possible but might lead to problems.​ Yes, the wipers are on separate switches, both for momentary use (stainless momentary switches on the helm near the wheel) and near the helm for "on" status.

Is the head equipped with a shower
​-No. I have a sink-fed hot water shower​ and a solar shower (
tank and hose) both ​of ​which operate in the cockpit and drain out the skuppers.
​ I think that's cleaner and has no mold/mildew issues down in the forward cabin.​

Condition of trailer, bearings, seals, brakes
- Had the bearings, seals and brakes done, and two new tires installed) at the end of last season at a very good trailer shop on the Delta.​

Brand of trailer brakes & electric over hydraulic controller
​Carlisle; I remember it being a among the best​

Weight of boat on trailer with full cruising gear & tanks
​I think I estimated (never weighed) it at 10k, with tanks full, loaded for a two week trip, clothing, safety equipment and accessories for two persons, and all gear (including the davit and dinghy/engine)​. NOTE: I tend to overestimate when I’m planning to handle a load.

What do you tow the boat with and do you use a weight distributing hitch?
​I have a 2005 F350 Turbo Diesel and it’s my opinion that you don't need a WDH with the three axle trailer. Towed effortlessly from Cornet Bay, WA - Yankee Hill​, CA, and several trips to Monterey Bay and many trips to San Francisco Bay. I've always launched and retrieved it (the manual indicated two, possibly three persons needed for launching and retrieval, but I've done it alone most of the time) and took it home to store it.
Higher resolution pictures of the boat sitting on trailer (side & stern view), and any others that you would care to send would be helpful.
​ - Don't have those, but except for the fading bottom coating (at marine paint advisor's urging, I haven't had it bottom painted because my saltwater time is very limited and the new owner may want a certain bottom paint)​ the hull is perfect.
One of the items mentioned in your list is un-mounted one way valves or flaps for the freeing ports (scuppers).  Have you had water enter the cockpit from waves lapping against the hull or other problems?  This was an irritant with my 25 C-dory.
​ - I keep the brass scupper covers in the cockpit, within a few inches of the scuppers ports, and screw them in for launching, retrieval and if I find myself in a following sea, etc. So I have the interior covers. What I was referring to were the two "ping-pong ball" exterior ports that I purchased but never installed. I'd seen them on other RF-246's and thought they were neat (ping-pog ball floats up to prevent anything from entering the scupper)​ but have found no need for them on my boat.
Do you have canvas side curtains for the aft cockpit?
No​. I would have listed them.
Do you tow your boat with the dingy inflated on the cabin top?  I've always deflated and stowed mine, but would be nice not to have to.
​ - For short distances, yes. Achilles with engine and two Wilderness Systems kayaks. Long hauls (highway speeds), no.​ The roof features stainless side rails that double as hand holds when walking on the gunwhales of the boat, and good tie downs for items stored on the roof.
The instrument mounted to starboard side cabin wall directly behind the pilots seat.  I'm guessing that this is the Wallas heater control?
​ - Yes. Wallas 30D control panel (digital)​
What is this item? Compact Ozone generator for air/water purificaton* (see: scribe5.com/ozone)
​ - A small, timer-actuated​ ozone generator. Read about what they can do for boats at the website.

PURE SIGN digital control panel
​ - Digital control & monitor(12V amps) panel for the charger and the inverter (12VDC-120VAC)​; located on the galley fascade
Is the Xantrex inverter both a battery charger & pure sign wave inverter?
​ - Yes, it was the top-of-the-line in 2007 2000-watt Pure Sign inverter/charger. It's been wonderful to me! ​
What chart chip(s) are included with the Raymarine E-120?
​ - I have CA-WA and the PNW​; basically the west coast inland and coastal waterways
What is your anchor rode x ft 1/4" chain & x ft 1/2" rope?
​ - I have 150" of 1/2 line and about 22" of chain​
Does Kokomo have a transom door?
​ - No, but with the hull extension (hollow bolt-on extension that the outboards mount to), you have a fairly easy step to either side of the swim-platform from the cockpit. I have had no trouble, even after the stroke (equilibrium issues), with getting around on the boat.​
How was Kokomo named?
​ - I named it after a song that my wife and I enjoyed, and a string of islands in the Caribbean that I've frequented over the years (The Lower Antilles were originally named Kokomo as an island group)​
I'm guessing that Les would have installed hydraulic steering probably Sea Star?
​ - Yes, for both the engines and the auto-pilot​
Perhaps it would be best if you consulted the King Salt-Water trailer's website about the trailer. I ordered brake parts (from King) but don't know who made them or what brand they are. I think they'd have the specifics you require. I do know that it features the flow through lube system on all 6 wheels, though. I also keep a spare flow-through hub on the spare tire.
What is the device (deck mounted stainless or chrome round cap) aft of the anchor and starboard of the bow bollard?
​ - I think your talking about the Lewmar V-700 (Vertical) windlass. I've appreciated that every time I've used it, and it's been a real workhorse in every type of bottom you can imagine! It's possible, now that I'm thinking about it more, that you're referring to the manual chain/rode access hole, and cover, that sits to the right of the windlass when seated at the helm.

Is all the lighting LED (navigation & interior)?
​ - Yes, for the trailer, and soon it will be for the boat. I'm installing a new set of LED navigation lamps​ that I ordered from Australia. Outperforms the several brands I found in the states. Note: The original, which used a specialty bulb that I could only find at West Marine, were fine until I lost the red lens overboard when changing a bulb recently. The anchor lamp and the interior lights are all LED.
Where are the Wallas heater outlets located?  Do you think a duct could be run to the forward window for demisting?
​ - The outlets (three; most boats have 1 or 2) are located (1) in the face of the aft dinette settee, (2) at your feet at the helm​ (in the Tiny Step Box that serves as a storage device and a step to the starboard door and (3) in the forward cabin in the bulkhead that separates the head from the helm. It never occurred to me that the heater might be ducted upwards for a defrost device; I have no problem with the windows fogging up using the fans and cracking the windows and doors.
Is there a TP dispenser in the head (mounted to electrical panel access)?
​ - Yes, but it is inset to the right and more convenient than it would be had they mounted it to electrical/helm access door.​ (Yes, I REALLY got asked about a TP holder!)
The 1-1/2"~2" polished tube in front of throttles - is this electronic wire routing?  Did Les install this?  Looks like it is positioned so as not to interfere with pilots site lines when sitting at helm?
​ - Yes. All of the wiring from the roof-mounted electronics​ and the electronics mounted in the overhead helm cabinet passes through that channel.
Does Kokomo have the sliding dinette table?
​ - Yes it does, and it makes down to a comfy double birth​
What is the color of the interior upholstery?  Hard to tell in the photos.
​ - Deep green. Matches the exterior striping​. The upholstery in the V-Berth covers cushions with additional bolstering ...
Have you tried cruising on one engine in the 12~14 knot range with the other tilted up?  If so, how does she perform?
​ - No, I never tilt one engine up when one is down, because that would cause eventual damage to the cross linkage​ and put a strain on Sea Star hydraulics. I often travel at 7-8kts on one engine Have never had an issue with the engine dragging or pulling to one side), and seldom in the 12-14 knot speed range, but it is always a sure-footed and stable vessel, at any speed with one or two engines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

San Quentin Prison

San Quentin Prison
One of the more 'captivating' sites along the Corte Madera channel . Rowers from Corte Madera are practicing in the foreground.